Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Imitation Writing

As I descend further down the dark, twisting corridor, I find myself shrouded in darkness. The evergrowing shadows consuming me as I hear a faint knocking sound from a distance. As I move closer the knocks become more loud while progressing through the darkness. I keep hearing more noises and I begin to think that I am hallucinating. Finally, I come across an old, beaten door where sounds of knocking are eminating from. I open the door and to my suprise a tree branch is knocking on the door and the door led back to the way I had gotten into that dungeon.

I typed this up to show 3 elements of Poe's style. The first element is the whole gothic theme of the stories and is shown by using darkness, shadows, etc. The second element is mystery or suspense which is shown with the knocking. The third element is the element of suprise. Showing with the tree branch while the reader might think of a person or monster due to the dark and mysterious nature of the story.

-Trevor

No comments:

Post a Comment